Friday 12 June 2015

Cheat's Frittata



This recipe came about after we over-indulged one night at the mobile fish and chip van that came visiting a site we were staying on. I was left with some chips that non of us could finish and I didn't want them to go to the barrel-shaped brown spaniel so I wrapped them and popped them in the cool box for the next day, thinking I might try to make something delicious for dinner (I get brilliant ideas like that after several glasses of wine!!)

The following evening the challenge was on to make a whole new meal out of my cold and rather unpromising looking chips. All I could think of was to try a frittata and I am pleased to report that it worked a treat. We all felt it was tastier than one made either from scratch or from left over boiled potatoes.

I tend to make mine fairly plain because we often serve it alongside something from the BBQ. If you want it to be more of a main meal you can always add other ingredients such a ham, bacon, vegetables on so on.

I can confirm that the Frittata passes the fat brown spaniel taste test too!



CHEAT'S FRITTATA RECIPE - Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tbsp oil
400g left-over chips, chopped into bite-size pieces
4 eggs, beaten
4 spring onions, chopped fairly finely
25g Cheddar cheese, grated

Method

Heat a frying pan over a medium heat with the oil and add the chips. Cook for a few minutes, turning to heat the chips through.


Whisk the eggs and add the spring onions and some seasoning.



Lower the heat under the chips and pour in the egg mix. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and cook for around 8 minutes until the egg mix is almost set.



While this is happening, if you have a grill, light it and let it heat up. Pop the frittata under the grill to brown the top. This is more for appearance than taste so, if you don't have a grill, don't worry because it will still taste delicious.

Serve with tomato ketchup or brown sauce. Lovely with sausages for breakfast too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your feedback but please keep it polite!