Sunday 24 May 2015

The Best Ever Beef Burger Recipe



I know that is quite a claim for a burger recipe and there will, undoubtedly, be many people who disagree with me but, for my family, this is the best recipe for beef burgers that we have ever tried. Give it a go and see what you think. If you have a better one, I'd love to hear about it. They can easily be made on site but they also freeze very well so you could make them before you go, freeze them and then let them defrost slowly in your fridge/coolbox ready for Day 2 or 3 of your latest adventure! I'm not sure the photograph really does it justice - I was in a hurry to eat it so I didn't spend as much time as I could have fiddling around with it first!

BURGER RECIPE - Makes 8

Ingredients

2lbs of quality minced beef
1 egg yolk, beaten
40g dry breadcrumbs - shop bought or take a small ziplock bag of homemade ones with you
3tbsp milk
3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, grated or finely chopped
1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning *

Method

Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix together well. Divide roughly into 8 and shape into burgers. If possible, put them somewhere cool for half an hour to an hour to firm up.



Cook over a BBQ or in a frying pan for 4-5 minutes each side. Check that they are cooked through by cutting into one.

Serve in a bun loaded with your favourite burger toppings. I always add a slice of cheese to the burger and leave it for a minute on the BBQ or under the grill to melt. We like our burgers with shredded lettuce, red onion, gherkins and a good dollop of mayo and ketchup.

* Old Bay Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that is made by US company McCormick & Company and produced in Maryland in the Chesapeake Bay area. It has been made there since 1939. It was originally created as a seasoning for crab but it can be used for much more than just seafood. The mix includes mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom and ginger. I buy it online and I always have some in the cupboard. I first came across it in a Nigella Lawson cookbook where she used it with squid.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your feedback but please keep it polite!